Learn more about your local bankruptcy and business lawyers in Southfield. We provide assistance to clients who need legal advice in how to rebuild credit for their business, how to handle a bankruptcy, and so much more. Above everything else, we put our clients and their needs. We never treat two cases the same way and always work hard to provide you professional, personalized assistance. Feel free to reach out to anyone on our team today.
Ethan Dunn – Managing Partner
Ethan is the managing partner of MAXWELL DUNN LAW, He has successfully turned around several small businesses and assisted hundreds of individuals fix their personal financial challenges both in and out of bankruptcy. In addition to his bankruptcy and turnaround practice, Ethan guides entrepreneurs through the purchase, sale and merger of businesses and advises small business owners. He is known for finding creative solutions for his clients and helping them resolve internal and external roadblocks so they can achieve their best possible financial outcome.
Ethan currently is as a co-chair of the Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Practice Group and as an advisor to the U.S. Small Business Administration Emerging Leaders program. He served on the Bankruptcy Rules committee commissioned to re-write the local bankruptcy rules for the Eastern District of Michigan. He also serves on several non-profit boards, including the board of Access to Bankruptcy Court founded by the Hon. Marci B. McIvor.
Ethan is the president of the Woodward Village neighborhood association and he spends his free time with his wife Meagan, and their son. He stays active by playing handball, running, and competing in triathlons.
Education and Associations:
- University of Detroit Jesuit High School – 1998
- Wayne State University, B.S. Finance – 2003
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D. – 2006
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys – 2008-present
- American Bankruptcy Institute – 2012-present
- Turnaround Management Association – 2014-present
- Federal Bar Association, Bankruptcy Co-Chair – 2015-present
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. – 2001-present
- Wolverine Bar Association – 2010-present
- American Bankruptcy Institute – 2012-present
Recognition and Awards:
- SuperLawyers “Rising Star” – 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- “30 In their Thirties”, Michigan Chronicle – 2015
- Ranked 10.0 out of 10.0 on AVVO.com
- Rated Top 1% in Bankruptcy Law Nationally
- Member, National Association of Distinguished Counsel – 2016
- Member, Global Who’s Who Law Directory
- Member, American Jurist Institute
Speaking and Publications:
- Speaker, ABI Central States Workshop, “Death and Taxes” – 2016
- Author, “Understanding How Bankruptcy Works: Creating a Plan for Dealing with Unique Financial Challenges” – www.maxwelldunnlaw.com, 2016
- Author, “Detroit Filed For Bankruptcy. What does it mean for me?” – Michigan Chronicle, 2014
- Speaker, Small Business Legal Academy, Detroit Entrepreneur Week – 2015
- Committee Member, revised Local Bankruptcy Rules for the Eastern District of Michigan – 2015
Josh Castmore – Senior Associate
Josh is a senior associate with MAXWELL DUNN LAW. Prior to joining the firm, Josh operated his own firm as a solo practitioner with a general practice. Josh began his career defending homeowners who were facing foreclosure and successfully assisted dozens of individuals in saving their homes from foreclosure during the peak of the financial meltdown. Since his beginnings, Josh’s focus has been on civil litigation representing both Plaintiffs and Defendants in various matters.
Josh spends his free time with his wife, Kim, and their five children. In addition, Josh enjoys playing golf and watching his favorite local professional and college sports teams
- Trenton High School – 2003
- Wayne State University, BS, Marketing – 2007
- University of Detroit Mercy, JD (cum laude) – 2012
Tierney E. Hoffman – Attorney Profile
Tierney is an associate attorney with MAXWELL DUNN LAW. Prior to being admitted to the bar, Tierney held various positions in the legal field, having worked as a legal assistant, paralegal, and law clerk for nearly ten years. After passing the bar exam, Tierney served as a contract attorney assisting in various litigation and regulatory investigations. Tierney attributes her holistic approach to providing clients with sustainable and winning solutions to her varied experience in the legal field. She currently represents both debtors and creditors in consumer and business bankruptcy matters.
Tierney originally hails from Prichard, Alabama, but has been a Detroiter for more than 10 years. She is active in her community and volunteers with her neighborhood association. She lives in Detroit with her husband, Eric, and their three fur children, Bogart, Sadie, and Nico.
- Spelman College, B.A., Psychology/Comparative Women’s Studies – 2002
- Wayne State University, J.D. – 2008
Brenda J Maxwell – Emeritus
Brenda has practiced law for more than 30 years and is also licensed to practice in Washington D.C. She maintains an “AV” rating with the Martindale-Hubbell rating service, which is the highest possible attorney rating. Brenda completed her undergraduate degree at Michigan State University on a Math Scholarship. Brenda also completed a Master’s Degree at Michigan State University in Ed/Psych Research and afterward attended Wayne State University for law school. Brenda retired from full-time legal work in 2017 and now serves as an advisor to the firm.
Her practice areas include:
- Probate and Estate Planning
- Business and Corporate Law
Brenda’s legal career began as house counsel in the banking industry; then litigation at the Defender’s Office for several years before entering into private practice. After being in private practice for many years, Brenda re-entered the public sector and served as Chief Counsel in Wayne County’s Mental Health Division. Over the years, Ms. Maxwell has represented numerous businesses, including churches, non-profit organizations, and for profit companies in a wide variety of industries.
In addition to her law practice, Brenda has served on the board of several non-profit organizations and civic organizations. She is a past commissioner with the American Bar Association, and she served as a Supreme Court Appointee to the Legislative Assembly of the State Bar of Michigan. Her civic involvement is extensive and includes organizations such as the Detroit Bar Association, Wolverine Bar Association, and Michigan Trial Lawyers Association.